[Mongrel] Multi apps in one Mongrel instance

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Fri Aug 25 19:38:14 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 14:30 -0700, snacktime wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Ezra Zygmuntowicz <ezmobius at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >         This is certainly an interesting idea but the problem I see with
> > this is ActiveRecord's database connection hates fork. Most of the
> > time if you use fork in a rails app you will immediately get the
> > "Mysql server has gone away" error. THere is a workaround you can use
> > but its not pretty.
>
> Not that it would be worth the effort, but you could create a process
> pool and load rails in the children instead of the parent.

That was the original plan actually, and SCGI Rails Runner did that at
first.

Until I found out that Ruby's IO seems to have problems with a socket
being multiplexed.  This was in the dark days of 1.8.0 ruby, but there'd
be lost data in one process that'd show up in another (which is really
not cool).

Not to mention this don't work on win32 (but what does really).

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/