[Mongrel] MongrelCluster - How can I make a request to a specific mongrel instance?

Scott R Brittain sbrittain at kalivo.com
Thu Aug 24 11:13:41 EDT 2006

In our app we've a number of singleton ruby classes that cache static data
in hashes, things like
string values, system config params, etc).  In a webbrick environment this
works ok, but we find
in production we have a problem because we have 4 caches, one for each
mongrel instance.

This also isn't a BIG problem, but our cache.reload() methods are kinda
useless now, because
we can't direct this call to a specific mongrel/rails instance.

Any suggestions?  In the long term, we'll be redesigning the cache to be
shared, but we'd like to
fix this now.

Had considered writing a quicky "broadcaster" that would iterate over our
known mongrel ports
and hit them directly.  But we're not sure if (a) that would work and (b)
the best way to read the
current running ports.

Thanks in advance.

Brittain