[Mongrel] Optimal Configuration

Tim Perrett tperrett at butlerandtanner.com
Wed Aug 23 05:07:42 EDT 2006

Hey all

First off, ive just switched to using mongrel_cluster and pound - its
working a treat! Its far far faster than fast-cgi: operations that took a
few seconds on fcgi now are almost instant with mongrel. Excellent!

However, I've been trying to decide how best to utilise my equipment most
effectively. I have a dual pro 3Ghz Xenon with 2GB RAM, and the server will
be running a few different applications - some rails, some php. Seeing as I
was using lighty before I switched im keeping my PHP on lighty and proxying
through pound but my rails apps are now on mongrel, but how many instances
would deliver the best performance on what im running? I wasn't sure if
mongrel got busy would it hog a lot of ram or something like that.

What would people suggest from there own experiences?

Cheers

Tim Perrett