[Mongrel] Mongrel crashes - bad doggie

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Tue Aug 22 18:39:09 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 22:00 +0200, Kaspar Schiess wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have a production machine with very low ram (Xen Virtual Server) that
> runs mysql and lighty->pound->mongrel (2 instances). About once a day,
> one of the mongrels just locks up, leaving that in its log files:
>
> *** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/ruby: free(): invalid next size (fast):
> 0x0a744780 ***

That's super deep in the ruby interpreter.  My thinking is that you've
just run out of ram and this is what happens to ruby when a malloc
fails.

Try out the latest pre-release to see if you still have the lock-ups:

  sudo gem install mongrel
--source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

But the ram problem is only solved by adding more ram or swap.

http://www.netadmintools.com/art1.html

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/