[Mongrel] Mongrel crashes - bad doggie

Kaspar Schiess eule at space.ch
Tue Aug 22 16:00:35 EDT 2006

Hello List,

I have a production machine with very low ram (Xen Virtual Server) that
runs mysql and lighty->pound->mongrel (2 instances). About once a day,
one of the mongrels just locks up, leaving that in its log files:

*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/ruby: free(): invalid next size (fast):
0x0a744780 ***

That process (mongrel) will stay locked, not answer any connections
anymore and just generally behave bad; for instance kill -s SIGKILL PID
will give me a 'Permission denied', even though I am impersonating root.
The only real solution I have had is to reboot the server, which is
obviously very bad.

Has this behavior been observed before? If not, what can I do to help
tracking down this bug? Is it even a mongrel bug?

I mean it could be that mongrel gets back at me because I feed it not
enough RAM. But even so, It should remain sigkillable, should it not?

Thank you,

ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-linux]
mongrel (
Rails 1.1.6