[Mongrel] Multiple mongrels for one app

Philip Hallstrom mongrel at philip.pjkh.com
Tue Aug 22 12:31:21 EDT 2006

> This is my first post, so I'm not sure if it's been asked before, but
> I can't find an answer anywhere.
> If I have one rails application running, one processor I'm running it
> on, and mongrel is multi-threaded, why should I have more than one
> mongrel running?
> Everyone seems to agree on 3-5 mongrels per rails app, but why?

Performance... somewhere Zed has an article on how to benchmark things..
something along the lines of benchmark a blank static html page.  That's
as fast as your server will go.  Then create a simple action that renders
"Hello" as text say, with one mongrel.  Benchmark that.  Keep increasing
the number of mongrels until you don't get any more performance

For us, it was 4.