[Mongrel] http parser

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 16:50:03 EDT 2006

> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 02:50 -0700, snacktime wrote:
> > Just thought I'd let you know that your http parser worked great for
> > creating an http protocol handler for Eventmachine.  It wouldn't take
> > that much effort to use Eventmachine for Mongrel, might be worth a
> > shot just to see how it does.  A few things would need to be
> > restructered, like HttpRequest where you read the rest of the body,
> > and calling the handler.  But it wouldn't be all that much work I
> > don't think.  Took me about an hour to create a working http server
> > with Eventmachine, your parser, and subclassing HttpRequest to get rid
> > of the socket reading.  I'll spend some more time on it tommorrow and
> > see how it progresses.
> The EventMachine stuff doesn't really buy you much since they use Ruby's
> select still to process connections.

I didn't realize that.  I thought they used a native select.  If
that's the case then EM would actually perform worse, since you are
always grabbing threads from a pool to run blocking operations and
then jumping back into the event loop.  I do like how you did your
parser though, it would be easy to drop that into pretty much any ruby
project that needs an http parser.