[Mongrel] Mongrel setting with Mysql error

Jan Svitok jan.svitok at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 02:38:30 EDT 2006

On 8/19/06, Guillaume Carbonneau <gusxedge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 10:12 -0400, Guillaume Carbonneau wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm pretty newb at Rails deployement stuff.
> > > I'm setting up a Mongrel web server on windows following the tutorial
> > > on the official site.
> > > My app works except when there's interaction with MySQL. I get this
> > > error :
> > >
> > > "Uninitialized constant Mysql"
> > >
> > > Now i'm pretty lost and i'm sure i'm doing something wrong. I've tried
> > > searching google, ruby and rails mailing list but didn't find
> > > anything.
> > > I'd appreciate if you guys could point me to the right direction. Like
> > > what steps I have to do to make mysql interact with Mongrel/Ruby.
> > >

> > Haven't seen this from people who use win32, so I'm thinking your setup is
> wrong somehow.
> >
> > Have you tried installing the win32 mysql gem?
> >
> > gem install mysql
> >
> > I believe that'll intall it but you have to pick win32.  If you've
> > already done this then maybe remove it and see if you get the error.
> >

> > --
> > Zed A. Shaw
> > http://www.zedshaw.com/
> > http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
> > http://www.railsmachine.com/ -- Need Mongrel support?

> I updated my gems
> I tried removing / reinstalling the mysql gem and i'm still getting the
> error.
> I always pick the mswin32 btw...
>
> I noticed a pattern when I start the mongrel server..
> 1st request generates this error : uninitialized constant Mysql
> 2nd and further errors : uninitialized constant ActiveRecord::Mysql
> Still getting errors. I tried with dead simple apps and it generates the
> same errors
>
> Thanks for your answers so far...
>
> Guillaume Carbonneau

1. in c:\ruby\lib\gems\gems\activerecord-x.x.x\lib\activerecord\connection_adapters\
(or similar)
you should have mysql_adapter.rb. try a little test: just create
instance of it, even without any configuration:

require 'activerecord/adapters/mysql_adapter'
ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::MysqlAdapter.new()

to see if it complains about the constant.

2. in c:\ruby\lib\gems\gems\activerecord-x.x.x\lib\activerecord\vendor\

you should have file mysql.rb - the pure rb mysql driver that is used
if the binary one is not used.

3. change your ruby association temporarily to "c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe"
-dw "%1" %* to see all the exceptions and warnings.

J.