[Mongrel] New automated Capistrano setup for Apache2.1+ and mongrel_cluster

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Sat Aug 19 00:51:08 EDT 2006

> Cool, did you make sure it runs with the latest pre-release?  That's
> coming down as the official release very soon, as soon as I route out or
> rule out a bug.  The main change for your stuff is that it's better to
> specify the log and pid file paths as absolute paths just to make sure
> they get set right.

I just updated my script, and made it work with the new mongrel
pre-release.  It has options to specify the prefix as a capistrano

It's totally improved and tried and tested to be able to run multiple
mongrel_clusters on multiple vhosts simultaneously (and takes care of
all ports).  Some things to note that I forgot to mention last time:

You'll need to have a line in your apache2 that says:

Include /etc/rails/*.conf

to pickup all the conf files for the multiple mongrel_clusters you're running

You'll also want to have the line:

NameVirtualHost *:80

to be able to serve up all your different named virtualhost servers
for each app.

Also one more thing, I put the amazingly feature-barren proxy-balancer
manager on mongrel_start_port + 81, which ends up being 8081, so
another cluster on 8100 would put it on port 8181.  Just FYI.  It
could be configurable one day too, though.

Newest version is here again:

p.s. Zed I sent you some Apache2 best practices documents for the
mongrel site.  Did you receive them?  Should I post the webgen files
on rubyforge, or just submit a patch to current mongrel svn?

p.p.s. a crazy mongrel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cassi007/211404555/

Charles Brian Quinn
self-promotion: www.seebq.com
highgroove studios: www.highgroove.com