[Mongrel] Running some code right before the app is available to users

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Fri Aug 11 11:05:11 EDT 2006

I do some indexing using acts_as_ferret in a rails app. I need to do
some preloading of the index's sort fields so that the first request
that sorts doesn't take 5 minutes to complete. I tried sticking my
preload code in config/environment.rb and that worked but it gets ran
in rake migrations, tests, etc, when it's not really needed. Is there
anything specific to starting up to serve requests I could check for?