[Mongrel] mongrel stops responding after period of no use

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Aug 10 11:39:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 07:17 -0400, Chris Hall wrote:
> I just moved from apache2/fcgi to apache2.2/mongrel and everything
> seems to work great except for 2 issues, one being major and one
> minor.
>
> the major issue i am experiencing is that after a period of time where
> my rails apps are not used, typically overnight, the mongrel processes
> become unresponsive.  I currently have 3 apps running behind an
> apache2.2 proxy.  every morning when i come in to work, all 3 apps no
> longer respond, either via apache or even if i try to connect directly
> to the port the app is running on.

Two things can cause this:  apache bug that Wilson mentioned, or that
your MySQL adapter needs to be told to reduce it's timeout time.  Don't
remember the magic incantation but it was mentioned several times in the
list (gotta get that in the damn FAQ)

<snip>
> also, the minor issue, is that when i start mongrel_rails with a
> configuration file, the pid file never gets created, yet the log file
> does, and they are set to the default location, log/mongrel.log and
> log/mongrel.pid

Upgrade to the 0.3.13.4 pre-release and this will be fixed:

gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/