[Mongrel] mongrel and comet "implementation"

Topher Cyll christophercyll at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:45:00 EDT 2006

Hey folks,

I was playing around with adding Comet (a javascript technology used
to receive events without AJAX polling) support to Mongrel. More info
about Comet here:

I sort of got it working. My code is available at:

Run comet.rb from inside the directory and point your browser at:

The fly in the ointment is that until a Comet request finishes, that
URL mount point stops responding. I assume this is because of how
thread management happens in Mongrel. Leaving the request unfinished
like I do is probably uncool.

One way to sort of work around the problem is to use a dispatcher that
registers a new handler at a unique URL for each Comet user. You can
see that both the main page and:

work simultaneous. And neither affects other mounted handlers, so you
can also access:

Anyways, I'm not really doing anything with this code and I'm sure it
has problems, but I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else
wanted to play around with Mongrel and Comet.

Mongrel rocks,
Topher Cyll