[Mongrel] Q about Mongrel::Configurator

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Aug 5 13:44:05 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 19:27 +0200, Alexander Lazic wrote:
> On Sam 05.08.2006 09:44, Zed Shaw wrote:
> >On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 10:59 +0200, Alexander Lazic wrote:
> >
> >Use the Configurator since it's simpler, but if you have NIH syndrome
> >like rails-core you can do it all yourself with the HttpServer
> >directly.
>
> Sorry but what is the 'NIH syndrome'?!

Not Invented Here Syndrome.  Means people like to go implement their own
versions of stuff not because the current one has deficiencies but
because they think they're smarter and obviously anything someone else
implements must be crap.

The problem with NIH isn't re-implementing stuff (Mongrel does this),
the problem with it is people who have NIH syndrome just immediately
assume the previous author was an asshole/idiot/moron/shitbag/etc. and
they don't try to understand the motivation for the current
implementation.  Eventually what happens is they end up implementing the
exact same thing but in a different style because they encounter all the
same problems and use all the same basic solutions.  Then they waste a
bunch of work on something that isn't really better, just different.

In other words, just use Configurator, but do it like RailsConfigurator
where Nitro specific stuff is done in a subclass.  Trying to do it all
yourself defeats the stuff I've already figured out.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/