[Mongrel] [WARNING] don't use ruby-sendfile

Charles Brian Quinn me at seebq.com
Thu Aug 3 12:57:38 EDT 2006

Just curious, if you are really need the "performance" for static
files, why not use an asset_host ?  i haven't personally used it, nor
do I fully know what it does, but on a cursory, half-hazard glance, it
appears you can serve up content from another web server (lightty,
apache, etc.) here for all your other stuff:

http://asset.yourapp.com/images/zed_rules.gif

just tossin' it out there....

On 8/3/06, Thomas Lockney <tlockney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Sunder <talk2sunder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay. So send file is bad and has been removed. Correct me if Iam wrong ,
> > but if you have apache installed and proxying through it, you dont really
> > need sendfile . is that assumption correct?
>
> It depends on how you set up the proxy. In general, no, everything
> will go through mongrel, you would have to either explicitly map only
> certain paths to mongrel (for anything that's not static) or
> explicitly exclude things that are static (can't recall how or even if
> this is possible with mod_proxy using filetypes, but you can always
> use mod_rewrite to do more complicated stuff).
>
> Thomas

Charles Brian Quinn
self-promotion: www.seebq.com
highgroove studios: www.highgroove.com