[Mongrel] strange bugs while using mongrel, while running in development (and also sometimes in production mode)

hemant gethemant at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 10:52:04 EDT 2006

Well, at least now i am not getting application.rb and routes.rb file not
found error.
But I am still getting errors in perdiodically_call_remote. Here is the code

     <%= render_component(:controller => '/price', :action => 'index') %>
<%= periodically_call_remote(:update => 'pricedlist', :url => {:controller
=> 'price',:action => 'index'}, :frequency => 180)%>

Now just forget use of components for a while, I will replace this with
widgets.But the point is, when the page loads for the first time, it loads
allright. Now, for some ajax calls, i have put <a href="#" > as the dummy
url and when within this inlined view of price/index, you  click somewhere
and a "#" is appended to the url, in the next call to
perdiodically_call_remote, i get :

Recognition failed for "/foobar/public/price"

Where foobar is application name. First of, should this call be
"/foobar/price"? rather than /foobar/public/price. and i dont have any
routes setup for this spefic for this controller.

Here is my routes.rb file:

ActionController::Routing::Routes.draw do |map|
  # The priority is based upon order of creation: first created -> highest

  # Sample of regular route:
  # map.connect 'products/:id', :controller => 'catalog', :action => 'view'
  # Keep in mind you can assign values other than :controller and :action

  # Sample of named route:
  # map.purchase 'products/:id/purchase', :controller => 'catalog', :action
=> 'purchase'
  # This route can be invoked with purchase_url(:id => product.id)

  # You can have the root of your site routed by hooking up ''
  # -- just remember to delete public/index.html.
  map.connect '', :controller => "start"

  # Allow downloading Web Service WSDL as a file with an extension
  # instead of a file named 'wsdl'
  map.connect ':controller/service.wsdl', :action => 'wsdl'

  # Install the default route as the lowest priority.
  #map.connect ':controller/:action/:id', :controller => 'start'
  map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'
 so what is the problem?

> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 19:38 +0530, hemant wrote:
> > Ok...I have removed sendfile and will see if the problem persists.
> >
> > There is one more strange error and this from server running in
> > production mode, using Apache2.2, mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer and
> > mongrel.
> >
> > I have a controller price_controller and i call it from main page,
> > using <%= periodically_call_remote(:controller => 'price',:action =>
> > 'index',:frequency => 180) %>
> >
> > And sometime i get /appname/price not found errors.
> >
> Ok, so removing sendfile fixed problems for you?  It's not quite clear
> from your message.  As for the priodically_call_remote I'm thinking it's
> your code, double check though.
> The performance difference isn't that great and it isn't worth the
> stability problems.
> --
> Zed A. Shaw
> http://www.zedshaw.com/