[Mongrel] [WARNING] don't use ruby-sendfile

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Thu Aug 3 10:23:48 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 07:53 -0500, James Ludlow wrote:
> On 8/3/06, Zed Shaw <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> wrote:
> > I'll be investigating why it doesn't really work as advertised, and
> > really it's not worth the hassle for just a 20% perf boost on static
> > files (and ONLY static files, no other requests at all).  Really, if you
> > need fast static files use a real web server instead.
>
> In my case, most of my content is static and the performance boost is
> very significant.  I'm using file_column to manage the uploads, so
> using a "real web server" around this is just a pain.

Measure the performance of both (with sendfile and without), you may
find it's not that great (20% is a high estimate).

> I haven't noticed any stability problems at all either.  Is this
> something that people notice right away (perhaps due to something else
> in their environment), or will it sneak up on me?

It sneaks up on you.  Just one day you hit the right load and the OS
starts canceling client requests at weird moments and Mongrel crashes
for no reason.

You're on your own now man. :-)

--
Zed A. Shaw