[Mongrel] Mongrel and Apache docs?

Jens Kraemer kraemer at webit.de
Thu Aug 3 05:10:56 EDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 07:59:02AM +0100, Dave Murphy wrote:
> On 01/08/06, Jason Young <jason.young at extension.org> wrote:
> > basically for the init script and configuration file-based start/stop.
>
> I've written a howto on rolling your own init scripts for single
> mongrel instances:
>
> http://schwuk.com/articles/2006/06/29/daemonizing-mongrel
>
> It could easily be adapted to use config files and/or clusters.
>
> >          ProxyPass       / http://127.0.0.1:mongrelport/
> >          ProxyPassReverse        / http://127.0.0.1:mongrelport/
>
> Because I'm using a bunch of rewrites to enhance caching etc. I not
> using ProxyPass anymore - I just use a proxying rewrite. I'll write
> this up on my website as soon as I get the chance.

I already did so some time ago (for Apache 2.0):
http://www.jkraemer.net/articles/2006/07/07/mongrel-apache-and-rails-on-debian-sarge

In the second half of the post, below Configuration / Apache there's a
snippet of Apache config like I use it in my VirtualHost sections.

It uses rewrite rules for serving static files via Apache and sends all
remaining requests to localhost:8001.

What actually listens on that port doesn't matter in terms of Apache
configuration - it might be some load balancer like Pen, or just a single
Mongrel instance.

Jens

--
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH          www.webit.de
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur Jens Krämer       kraemer at webit.de
Schnorrstraße 76                         Tel +49 351 46766  0
D-01069 Dresden                          Fax +49 351 46766 66