[Mongrel] Nightly mongrel issues...

Jeremy Hopple jeremy at jthopple.com
Fri Apr 28 10:48:51 EDT 2006

I have Apache (2.2) setup to proxy requests through to Mongrel (
for a Rails (1.1.2) application (on ruby 1.8.4).  The setup is great, but
I'm experiencing some nightly failures.  I thought I'd post here before
digging in too deeply, but it looks like Rails is going into lala land and
Mongrel can't recover...

Seems like everything gets all backed up in mongrel/rails.rb:64 at:

@guard.synchronize do
              # Rails is not thread safe so must be run entirely within
ActionController::CgiRequest::DEFAULT_SESSION_OPTIONS, response.body)

Prior to doing a "mongrel_rails restart" the mongrel log is normal and
there's nothing unusual in my rails log.  Once I do a "mongrel_rails
restart," I get a bunch of the following dumped into the mongrel.log (I
assume one for each thread that's chillin' at @guard.synchronize)...

Error calling Dispatcher.dispatch #<Mongrel::StopServer: Timed out thread.>
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/thread.rb:133:in `synchronize'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel- `process'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel- `run'

If anyone has any ideas please let me know... I promise I'll jump up and