[Mongrel] [ANN] Mongrel Web Server -- Relaxed Parser, Date Fix

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:25:33 EDT 2006

Hello list!

I've been out of sight doing some hard and dirty coding on old,
20-years old mainframes for the past weeks :P

Anyway, returning to this new and shinny century, check my comments below:

> Hello Everyone,
> [...]
> WIN32
> The release will be for cleaning up the differences between POSIX
> and Win32 systems.  The plan is to get rid of mongrel_rails_service and the
> mongrel_rails_svc command and start using one consistent mongrel_rails
> command for all platforms.

I hope your idea is using GemPlugin to hook in the URI the commands
similar to the ones used my mongrel_rails.

I was thinking more in just "mongrel" and create some validators that
analyze the working directory to check if its rails, nitro/og or
camping folder structure or could force to one of them.

Also, I want to contribute and participate, any hope? :-)

> [...]
> About a week after Canada on Rails I'll have everyone's feedback
> incorporated and will do the release that I consider production ready.  I'm
> going to version this release as:
>   Mongrel 0.4 Enterprise Edition 1.2
> This is to keep up with the Java trend of tacking the word "Enterprise" onto
> anything they want to sell and giving it two version numbers: one for
> developers and one for managers.
> If you're looking for a set of elevator pitches for Mongrel, then I would
> suggest these after this release:
>   * "Mongrel powers the Web 2.0 revolution just like Rails."
>   * "Mongrel's enterprise ready, look, says so right in the name."
>   * "Mongrel's version 1.2, Rails is only 1.1.58."
>   * "Sure Mongrel can scale, all you do is strap a salmon to the jello and
> it scales just fine."
>       -- Makes about as much sense as Java's scalability arguments so why
> not.

I hope you're joking, right? Remembering 1 version number schema is
difficult right now, 2 in the same product name??? Oh, also the
"Enterprise" and what about "Professional" part of the name?.

If you aren't a guy with big bucks and a big jacuzzi, use the Pro
version instead, of couse...

PS: That was a bit of sarcasm, hope J2EE guys hanging over here don't
take that personal. :-D