[Mongrel] Is mongrel stable enough to be used in a production environment?

Zed Shaw zedshaw at zedshaw.com
Sat Apr 8 15:28:21 EDT 2006

I¹m currently taking the 0.3.12.x release and making it stable and robust in
the face of malformed protocol requests or giant ³moby² requests.  There is
a pre-release available ( from:

  gem install mongrel ‹source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

Which you might want to try in order to get a jump on it¹s stability.  This
release mostly just fixes the Date formatting to be RFC compliant.

I¹m telling people that the 0.3.13 release will be the ³stable for
pre-production release².  This means that you can start putting your
pre-production and staging systems on it for testing and evaluation
purposes.  At Canada on Rails I plan on getting together with as many people
as possible and trying to get their applications to run Mongrel as my main
testing process.

After Canada on Rails I¹m planning the 0.4 release and will start telling
people it¹s production ready.

Now, before people go crazy and start running their rails applications on
Mongrel expecting google size loads, there¹s quite a few things that
³Mongrel in production² is really missing:

  * A monitoring best practice.  I¹m looking at monit for this and should
have a doc for people soon.
  * A multi-machine cached cluster best practice.  There¹s one using
lighttpd that works, but there¹s some bugs in lighttpd¹s mod_proxy that
makes it not so great.  I should have a new version of the document which
clears all this up.
  * Management mechanisms.  Monit should take care of things like stray
mongrels (pun!) and bouncing badly behaving servers.  It would be nice to
give people a small handler that lets them hit a mongrel server on a
separate host to see what it¹s doing and manage it a bit.

Hope that answers your question.

Zed A. Shaw