usefulness of per-worker listeners?

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Wed Sep 25 22:46:41 UTC 2013

Hi all, I'm wondering if folks find per-worker listeners useful for
unicorn.

When I started unicorn back in 2009, I thought it would be a very useful
feature, but really haven't used it since 2009...

The main problem is the necessity of the :tries/:delay parameters
when restarting workers, and the possibility of losing connections
to that worker momentarily during restarts/upgrades.

I'm not going to remove it from unicorn, though.  However, I am working
on a new TCP (not just HTTP) server based on unicorn, so I'm thinking
about not having it there...

Normally, if I have to track down a problem with an app running on
unicorn, I'll SIGTTOU to the point where there's only one worker
and work on that.

Thanks for reading!