SIGSEGV at shutdown (was: Re: your mail)

Charles Hornberger charles.hornberger at
Thu Jan 24 10:27:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Eric Wong <normalperson at> wrote:
> Charles Hornberger <charles.hornberger at> wrote:
> <snip>

>> > A SEGV at shutdown is likely an ordering problem at VM shutdown
>> > (probably GC/finalization handling).  It could be specific to the
>> > malloc/pthread implementation on FreeBSD, even.
>> >
>> > Which version of Ruby are you using?
>> 1.9.3p-125
> Can you give 1.9.3-p374 a try?  There were several GC-related segfault
> fixes along the way (fairly large and drastic changes, even).

We'll be moving to that soon. Since the problem has only occurred
*once* afaik, and there was nothing special that I can think of to do
to reproduce it, we may never know if the change fixed anything. :)
But if I happen to see it again, I will attempt to provide more info.

> <snip>
> Also, did you manage to get any backtrace from Ruby at all?  The Ruby VM
> should show a partial stack trace on SEGV (or at least attempt to, but
> it may not during shutdown).  Otherwise, you'd have to get gdb-able core
> dumps the old-fashioned way (ulimit -c unlimited) and show us (or
> ruby-core) the backtrace.

Nothing was emitted at the time -- what I sent before was all that
appeared in stderr.log.