A barrage of unexplained timeouts

Jimmy Soho jimmy.soho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 02:32:47 UTC 2013

fwiw, we experience this too irregularly, about once a week or 2 weeks for a few seconds, and sometimes up to a minute or 2 minutes long. for no apparent reasons indeed. and at random times.

my suspicion so far has always been that this is due to bad (wifi) networks of clients. what happens when a request is handled successfully by rails, but for whatever reason the last bit of the response can't be delivered because the receiving end is not consuming in a timely fashion?

If i'm not mistaken i think that rails logs a 200 success message before the response is actually send back?

Is a response send back by rails / unicorn fully buffered by nginx? Or is a unicorn worker blocked until the response is confirmed to have been successfully received by the client?

Aside: how do you protect your unicorn workers against a barrage of client requests that eat the response veeeeeery sloooooooowly?

--
JS