HTTP streaming and Unicorn timeout

Nokan Emiro uzleepito at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:28:55 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

I am working on a Rails app that needs to stream some data to the user and
I have just found out that Unicorn's timeout feature doesn't respect streaming.
Content generation is interrupted by Unicorn after the timeout is over.  I
had to comment out the timeout line in the Unicorn config and use
Rack::Timeout instead.  This way the streaming isn't interrupted, but the normal
requests (I mean those that don't use streaming) are forced to finish in the
defined period of time.

I'd like to know your opinion about that.  Why is Unicorn cutting off the app
even if it streams actively to the user?  Is there any better solutions to my
problem than using Rack::Timeout and switch off timing out in Unicorn?

Is that a bad idea that the timeout counter should restart counting after
each byte/packet/chunk traverses trough the connection?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions and observations,
U.