A barrage of unexplained timeouts

nick at auger.net nick at auger.net
Tue Aug 20 17:27:43 UTC 2013

"Eric Wong" <normalperson at yhbt.net> said:
> Can you take a look at the nginx error and access logs?  From what
> you're saying, there's a chance a request never even got to the Rails
> layer.  However, nginx should be logging failed/long-running requests to
> unicorn.

The nginx access logs show frequent 499 responses.  The error logs are filled with:

connect() failed (110: Connection timed out) while connecting to upstream
upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream

What specific pieces of information should I be looking for in the logs?

Thanks Again,

-Nick