Why doesn't SIGTERM quit gracefully?

Andreas Falk mail at andreasfalk.se
Thu Apr 25 08:02:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm wondering why SIGINT and SIGTERM both were chosen for the quick
shutdown? I agree with SIGINT but not with SIGTERM. A lot of unix
tools send SIGTERM as default (kill, runit among some) and it seems to
be the standard way of telling a process to quit gracefully but not
among Ruby people (there are a few other ruby processes behaving the
same way). I just think it's weird that the default command will exit
without taking care of their current request.

Also i'm not on the mailinglist so it would be great if you could cc
mail at andreasfalk.se

Regards,
Andreas Falk