Worker Timeout Debugging

Bill Vieux billv at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 20 00:52:41 UTC 2013

I am getting occasional worker timeouts for a Rails app hosted on
Heroku. I have rack-timeout set at the top of the middleware with a
shorter timeout than unicorn workers, but it is not firing for some
reason.

Are there any recommended techniques to determine the call stack when
the worker is reaped?

The solutions that come to mind for me seem to require running a
customized build of unicorn. For example: start a script (e.g., gdb to
attach and core dump the worker) before (or in place of) sending the
SIGKILL.