using unicorn with logging-rails gem

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Fri Nov 30 19:15:55 UTC 2012

Yoav Aner <yoav at kenhub.com> wrote:
> Hope this is the right place to ask questions about unicorn. I'm not
> on the mailing list though, so please CC my email address.

No problem!

> Since moving from phusion passenger to Unicorn, it seems like one
> functionality of the logging-rails gem
> (https://github.com/TwP/logging-rails) is (half) broken.
>
> Logging-rails supports an email appender, which aggregates log
> messages (typically ERROR and above) and then emails them. However,
> since moving to Unicorn we stopped getting those emails.
>
> The interesting thing however, is that when we USR2 signal our unicorn
> and it restarts itself, then those emails somehow get flushed out and
> get sent all at once... I tried sending USR1 signal to see if it has
> something to do with log flushing, but this does not seem to make any
> difference.

USR1 only affects logging to regular files, so is unlikely to help
in your case.

Are you using preload_app true or false?  If true, perhaps some shared
resource (socket or temporary file) isn't being handled correctly?

> Any ideas how to investigate this / make it work again??

I'm not familiar with the "logging" or "logging-rails" gems.
I took a brief look at them but couldn't figure anything out,
can you ask the author of those gems?

If you do figure something out, please let the list know so it can
possibly help others in the future.