Fwd: Maintaining capacity during deploys

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:52:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> So it's one haproxy -> multiple nginx/unicorn servers?

> Do you mark the server down or lower the weight in haproxy when
> deploying the Ruby app?  (Perhaps using monitor-uri in haproxy)

I assume you're talking about when we did rolling restarts at the
server level? We don't do this presently as we deploy to all servers
at the same time.

Doing single-server-at-a-time deploys still resulted in a backlog in
our queue, which speaks to our capacity problems. It's being worked
on, but we're looking for an interim solution. It'd also be nice not
to have to do this as it further extends the length of our (already
gruelingly long) deploy process.

Tony Arcieri