Combating nginx 499 HTTP responses during flash traffic scenario

Lawrence Pit lawrence.pit at
Thu Nov 29 20:30:40 UTC 2012

> [2]
> I haven't heard back on results of our nasty/crazy solution, though.

fyi: I've been running that patch for a while in our staging
environment. As far as I can tell it works. Though we haven't tested it
with older browsers such as IE6 (we do not have that requirement) nor
with all of the API clients we see (java, python, etc., we do have that

Hopefully we're bringing that patch into our production environment
within the next couple of weeks, and then we should see results later
that week.

Tom Burns wrote:
> Unexpectedly the patch also helped us ward off a DoS attack where the
> attackers were disconnecting immediately after making a request.

The only thing that worries me is that Eric calls this a "nasty/crazy
solution". :p Not sure why. Seems to me it's a rather smart solution
that perhaps in the future would deserve to be the default.

A related question: is it possible to get insight in what's in the
unicorn queue and for how long requests have been queued there?