When a client terminates a connection

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Wed Nov 28 13:32:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have run into the following situation several times in the past few months:

(My stack is Nginx -- Unicorn -- Rails 3.0.12)

1. Client clicks a delete link in my webapp.
2. Rails starts processing the appropriate destroy action.  This updates various things in the database (but not in a single db transaction).
3. Client terminates the connection.
4. Rails stops executing the destroy action wherever it has got to, leaving the latter part of the action unexecuted and my db inconsistent.
5. Rails and Unicorn don't write anything to their logs; Nginx writes a 499.

This question has been asked before[1] but regrettably I don't entirely understand all the solutions proposed :)

I plan to wrap all the changes made by my destroy action in a single db transaction.  I'm assuming this will ensure db consistency, even when subject to awkward clients.  Is that correct?

(I'll probably also move the action's work onto a background process, e.g. with delayed job.)

Now apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree here...in general is it possible to configure Unicorn to buffer the request and:

- if the client terminates before the request is fully received, don't pass it to Rails at all;
- else pass the complete request to Rails and let Rails execute it fully, even if client terminates in the meantime?

The thread[1] also mentioned Nginx's proxy_ignore_client_abort.  If that's relevant, has anyone tried it?

[1] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-unicorn/2011-August/001096.html

Many thanks,

Andrew Stewart