Unicorn workers under Monit

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Wed Jun 27 18:35:04 UTC 2012

Manuel Palenciano Guerrero <mpalenciano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I would like to config Monit to monitor our production-unicorn-workers
> What memory size would you recommend to be the maximum reachable for a
> worker? so Monit can restart it.

It depends :)

Memory size varies widely between applications/deployments.
It depends on your:

* application + libraries + gems (including framework used)
* Ruby implementation/version (MRI 1.8 vs 1.9 vs Rubinius)
* machine architecture (32-bit vs 64-bit)
* malloc implementation/tuning

I have seen deployments processes where 20-30M (RSS) per-worker was
expected and have also seen deployments where 300-400M was expected for
the application.