Any signal other than -9 causes full CPU utilization by master unicorn process on FreeBSD

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Tue Jul 17 22:17:41 UTC 2012

Mark Mccraw <Mark.Mccraw at sas.com> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Mark McCraw wrote:
> > We're upgrading now to see what happens.  I'm so glad you knew about
> > this.  There's no telling how long it would have taken me to
> > question the ruby interpreter implementation, and since it's
> > FreeBSD, I never would have found it by googling.  Thanks for hours
> > (days?) of my life back.
>
> Just to follow up and close out the thread - Eric's recollection was
> spot on.  We upgraded ruby on our FreeBSD server to the latest thing,
> and the problem completely disappeared.  Thanks again!

Thanks for confirming this fix!

Fwiw, the Ruby core team probably uses/tests on GNU/Linux more than any
other platform.  Bugs on less common development platforms (especially
w.r.t tricky thread/fork/signal handling issues) may go unnoticed
elsewhere.  If you're focused on using Ruby + *BSD in a production
system, I suggest testing/fixing/reporting issues against the Ruby
development branches as much as possible before they hit production :)