using unicorn as a local development server

Patrick J. Collins patrick at
Thu Feb 23 02:29:07 UTC 2012

Hi Unicorn friends,

I wanted to try out Unicorn as my development server and I see that I
need to perform some configuration to make this work nicely with rails.
>From what I can tell the only real things I need to do to make unicorn
similar to the default rails server is to supply a config file with:

listen 3000

After creating this file, I was kind of confused as to how to proceed..
Should I made a bash alias like

alias unicorn="unicorn_rails -c /path/to/unicorn_config.rb"

and lastly, is there a convention where a configuration file like this
should go on a unix/OS X system?

Thank you kindly.

Patrick J. Collins