FreeBSD jail and unicorn

Philipp Bruell Philipp.Bruell at
Tue Feb 7 02:36:31 EST 2012

Sorry for my late rely.

On 07/02/2012 07:21, "Eric Wong" <normalperson at> wrote:

>Eric Wong <normalperson at> wrote:
>> ruby-core pointed me to the following issue:
>> So there may already be a fix in Ruby SVN, can you test?
>> r34425
>Btw, did anybody get a chance to try this?

I haven't tried it yet. Currently, we are using RVM to install ruby, but
as soon as I've some time, I'll setup a source version of ruby and apply
some of these patches.

>While working on an unrelated project, I setup FreeBSD 8.2 and 9.0
>KVM images over the weekend.  Since I had the KVM images handy, I also
>tried to reproduce this issue under 1.9.3-p0 (without a jail) but was
>unable to reproduce the issue under either 8.2 nor 9.0.

Yeah - I've also ask a college to test it under FreeBSD (without Jail) and
he can't reproduce it either. It seems to be a Jail problem (I would run
in cycles too, if I would be in Jail ;-).

>I tried building a jail, but didn't have enough space for a full one.
>If I get the chance, I'll see how building a partial jail goes, but I'm
>not optimistic about being able to reproduce this issue under KVM
>since it seems to be a race condition/timing issue.
>I even had both CPU cores enabled under KVM and even installed the
>virtio drivers for better performance.
>I assume you guys are using SMP in the jail?

Yes - I'm pretty sure that SMP is involved.

Kind regards