Deployment with Capistrano and Foreman

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sun Feb 5 16:45:16 EST 2012

Dmytrii Nagirniak <dnagir at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder how do you deploy Unicorn Rails apps using Foreman and the upstart.
>
> The things I'm not sure how to deal with are:
>
> - restarting the Unicorn with no downtime. With upstart I think the master
> process gets restarted.

I'll defer to actual Foreman/upstart users for this.  Any solution that
works with nginx (while keeping the master process in use) should work
with unicorn, too.  I designed unicorn so it could be managed nearly
identically to nginx.

> - running app as unprivileged user (not sure how to use Forman with
> upstat at all here).

You can use the "user" directive in the unicorn config file, this
only affects the worker processes, though.
http://unicorn.bogomips.org/Unicorn/Configurator.html#method-i-user

You can always use su or sudo to ensure the master process is
unprivileged, too.