app error: Socket is not connected (Errno::ENOTCONN)

Joel Nimety jnimety at
Fri Apr 27 19:47:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at> wrote:
> Joel Nimety <jnimety at> wrote:
>> >
>> > Multiple times per request?  Yikes.  This can be expected occasionally.
>> 46 times in development on the last request I tested.  I can provide
>> my Gemfile, logs and any other debug info if you like.  Just to
>> reiterate, if I downgrade to 4.2.1 I don't see the error at all.
> Yes, the addition of the shutdown() call[1] in 4.3.0 can cause ENOTCONN
> occasionally.
> Ignoring the exception works, but given the cost of generating
> exceptions in Ruby in the first place (especially 1.9), I don't
> think it's a good idea...
> I can't reproduce this error.  Are you on a UNIX listener or TCP
> listene?  What environment (OS/kernel version) is this?

OS X 10.7.3, ruby 1.9.3p125 (2012-02-16 revision 34643)
[x86_64-darwin11.3.0] with the latest command line x code. tcp, using
the the following config.  I've tried removing preload_app but it
didn't help.

listen 3000
worker_processes 4
preload_app true
timeout 30

> [1] see thread starting here about adding shutdown():

Joel Nimety
SVP Technology
Continuity Control
203.285.8133 (office)