app error: Socket is not connected (Errno::ENOTCONN)

Eric Wong normalperson at
Fri Apr 27 19:32:56 UTC 2012

Joel Nimety <jnimety at> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Eric Wong <normalperson at> wrote:
> > Joel Nimety <jnimety at> wrote:
> >> I'm getting the following errors multiple times per request when using
> >> 4.3.0.  I do not receive any errors when using 4.2.1.  Please CC me on
> >> replies, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list.
> >
> > Multiple times per request?  Yikes.  This can be expected occasionally.
> 46 times in development on the last request I tested.  I can provide
> my Gemfile, logs and any other debug info if you like.  Just to
> reiterate, if I downgrade to 4.2.1 I don't see the error at all.

Yes, the addition of the shutdown() call[1] in 4.3.0 can cause ENOTCONN

Ignoring the exception works, but given the cost of generating
exceptions in Ruby in the first place (especially 1.9), I don't
think it's a good idea...

I can't reproduce this error.  Are you on a UNIX listener or TCP
listene?  What environment (OS/kernel version) is this?

[1] see thread starting here about adding shutdown():