Request-URI Too Long from mongrel-unicorn

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Apr 12 03:52:05 UTC 2012

Nuo Yan <yan.nuo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Eric Wong wrote:
> > I will consider upping REQUEST_PATH to 4096 (and REQUEST_URI to 15K)
> > since 4096 is a common filesystem PATH_MAX on modern systems.
>
> 4k makes sense to me. When do you think you can cut a gem on this?

I might wait a week for others to chime in before making an official
release.  However, packaging your own gem should be relatively easy
and it is documented in the HACKING file.

> Also, what do you think about making these values configurable in the
> conf file? I understand these were hard coded by design to protect the
> server. However, I think it would be nice if it defaults to these
> small values and can be configured flexibly.

I'm against adding too many configuration variables as it's difficult to
support (needs documentation, testing, including testing for corner
cases, error handling, etc...).  Too many exposed configuration values
scares off new users.

Given how few people have an issue with these values, I don't think it's
worth the effort.