Rainbows! or unicorn?

russell muetzelfeldt russm-rubyforge at slofith.org
Fri Sep 16 08:38:59 EDT 2011

On 16/09/2011, at 9:11 PM, Eric Wong wrote:
> :ThreadSpawn + worker_connections=1 and the (default) :Base option are
> almost the same in Rainbows! if you don't want to worry about your app
> being thread-safe at all.

my reason for intending to run worker_connections=1 isn't avoiding threading issues, but to allow app reloads without leaving around old instances of the app in server processes that are handling a 2+ hour upload. I passed on Rainbows::Base just because of the "not intended for production use" comment in the docs.

> Rainbows! can (and does by default) limit upload sizes
> (client_max_body_size) for handling untrusted clients who may try to
> run you out of space.

ah, that's a good point. I'll be fronting through Pound for SSL, but having the server process limit upload size would be worthwhile.

> Since performance/scalability isn't your concern, it depends on whether
> you trust your clients to not upload until you run out of disk space.

I trust them to not do that on purpose, but that doesn't mean a lot. :/

cheers

Russell

-----
Russell Muetzelfeldt <russm at slofith.org>