Rainbows! or unicorn?

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Fri Sep 16 07:11:07 EDT 2011

russell muetzelfeldt <russm-rubyforge at slofith.org> wrote:
> I'm putting together a small web frontend for a client to upload files
> into an existing application. It's trivial - there will never be more
> than a (small) handful of concurrent connections, but I need a
> streaming rack.input for upload progress on files up to 500MB or so. I
> was planning on using Rainbows! with ThreadSpawn and
> worker_connections=1, then noticed that unicorn is also listed as
> having streaming rack.input.

:ThreadSpawn + worker_connections=1 and the (default) :Base option are
almost the same in Rainbows! if you don't want to worry about your app
being thread-safe at all.

> While what I'm doing is pretty much the opposite of the unicorn design
> case, is there any reason in this scenario for me to use Rainbows!, or
> should I just go with unicorn and enough backends to handle a couple
> of concurrent uploads and the minimal other frontend bits?

Rainbows! can (and does by default) limit upload sizes
(client_max_body_size) for handling untrusted clients who may try to
run you out of space.

Since performance/scalability isn't your concern, it depends on whether
you trust your clients to not upload until you run out of disk space.