Strange quit behavior

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Thu Sep 1 16:26:00 EDT 2011

Alex Sharp <ajsharp at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Also, today I did an strace on an old unicorn master that was not
>  responding to USR2 signals (but not pegging the cpu), and I saw tons
>  of gettimeofday calls in the output. Is this normal? Also, I was
>  seeing this after having removed newrelic from the project.

Yes, if it's from the same (timer) thread that's making a bunch of
futex() calls (which you've probably filtered out) on 1.9.2.
They'll go away on Ruby 1.9.3.

On x86_64 and a modern-ish kernel + glibc, gettimeofday() isn't even
a syscall (and won't show up on strace):
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_MRG/1.3/html/Realtime_Tuning_Guide/sect-Realtime_Tuning_Guide-General_System_Tuning-gettimeofday_speedup.html