COW friendly GC and PostgreSQL

Laas Toom laas.toom at eenet.ee
Wed Nov 30 10:24:11 EST 2011

Hello,

I stumbled upon a weird issue when upgrading a Rails app and trying to run in on Unicorn!:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8262803/unicorn-and-postgresql/

The problem manifested itself via a few different error messages as if garbage/nil was returned from database instead of actual data and it only happened with more than one concurrent request (i.e under load test).

This turned out to be an issue with COW-friendly GC that I had enabled (taken from the example unicorn.conf). Removing this from unicorn.conf made the app run smooth again.

Is this something known or did I do something wrong?

Best regards,
Laas