Reopening logs - why no relative paths?

Matthew Kocher mkocher at
Thu Mar 31 13:45:32 EDT 2011

We just spend a couple hours trying to figure out why sending a USR1
signal wasn't causing unicorn to reopen logs.  Looking at the source
reveals that only files opened with absolute paths are eligible for
rotation, the others are silently skipped.

We use the fairly standard practice of always logging to
log/unicorn.error.log and creating symlinks to where we'd like the
logs to live on individual hosts.  We'll change our configs for the
time being, but is there a reason to not reopen the relative paths?