TAG for process list view and start-up-scripts

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Wed Mar 30 13:52:39 EDT 2011

Troex Nevelin <list at mrtech.ru> wrote:
> 1. Thin has 'tag' option in config, it is shown process list.
> This feature was very useful for me, because on servers I
> run 2 and more unicorn instances it would be nice to identify
> them fast with one look.

I won't be supporting something like this because everybody has
a different idea of what it should be and it bloats terminals.
A similar idea that was rejected in this thread:

In a related thread, Jeremy's monkey patch (which should work for all
future/current versions):

I only do the "master"/"worker" distinction because it's what
nginx users are used to seeing and it can usually fit in argv[0]
without needing more space (moving + clobbering environ)[1]

> 2. It would be nice to have example sh startup scripts come with
> unicorn. I know they can be very specific but anyway it will help
> people start using unicorn.

Something like examples/init.sh in our source tree?
All of the examples/ directories is uploaded to
http://unicorn.bogomips.org/examples/ too

[1] /proc/$PID/environ under Linux is a sometimes useful debugging tool
    but broken under Ruby 1.9.2, I'm working on fixing this for 1.9.3