unicorn 1.1.x never-ending listen loop IOError exceptions

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Tue Mar 29 12:24:44 EDT 2011

David Nghiem <david at zendesk.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if the problem is three logs for unicorn (unicorn.log, and the
> stdout, stderr logs) are rotated by logrotate, but the first log triggers
> the USR1 and in the middle of rotating the remaining logs, the unicorn log
> reopening gets confused.
>
> I'll make it so the USR1 signal is sent after all three logs have been
> rotated.   Let this run for a couple months and report back.

That could be it.   logrotate (without the scary/expensive
"copytruncate" option) works very quickly for individual files.  Do you
have the "sharedscripts" option in logrotate enabled?  You should enable
"sharedscripts"

I should post a logrotate example config so other users don't run into
the same problem...

> Thanks, Eric, for your help.  I've been running unicorn since the pre-1.0
> days and it's my favorite ruby software.

Good to know!