Unicorn renaming unicorn.pid.oldbin back to unicorn.pid (or, is unicorn afraid to die?)

Sean Grove otokorasii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:09:24 EST 2011

Whenever I send a USR2 signal to unicorn, it correctly renames the pid file from unicorn.pid to unicorn.pid.oldbin, and a new instance starts launching. However, almost immediately (~2 seconds), it renames it back to unicorn.pid. The new instance of unicorn finished launching to find that unicorn.pid is already running, and refuses to start up.

I'm not sure if I've misconfigured something, but I'd love to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for the help!

All the best,
Sean Grove