Multiple master processes

Tilmann Singer tils at tils.net
Tue Feb 1 15:48:38 EST 2011

At Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:08:15 +0000,
Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:

> Tilmann Singer <tils at tils.net> wrote:
> > I'm seeing the following output of ps after starting unicorn, which as
> > I understand it means that there are multiple master processes
> > running, each with its own pid. Is that normal behaviour or is there
> > something wrong with my setup?
>
> It's normal behavior for Linux 2.4.x + Ruby 1.9, don't worry about it.

OK thanks, good to know.

> > $ ps xf|grep 4002
> >  8022 ?        S      0:00 unicorn master -c config/unicorn.rb -E production -p 4002 -D
> >  8024 ?        S      0:00  \_ unicorn master -c config/unicorn.rb -E production -p 4002 -D
> > 26743 ?        S      0:00  |   \_ unicorn master -c config/unicorn.rb -E production -p 4002 -D
[...]
> > $ cat tmp/pids/unicorn.pid
> > 8022

Could it be that the content of the pidfile is wrong in this case? I
found that I always have to signal the pid of the last of the master
process list entries (26743 in this example) to see them have an
effect. Not a big deal, just wondering.

> Wow, I didn't realize people ran the latest Rubies on 2.4.x!

Time to upgrade for me I assume ...

greetings, Til