Master repeatedly killing workers due to timeouts

Jonathan del Strother jdelstrother at
Thu Dec 8 17:24:10 EST 2011

On 8 Dec 2011, at 20:23, Eric Wong <normalperson at> wrote:

> Jonathan del Strother <maillist at> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We're using unicorn as a Rails server on Solaris, and it's been
>> running great for several months.  We've recently been having a few
>> problems and I'm at a loss what might cause it.  A number of times in
>> the past few days, our unicorn slaves keep timing out & the master
>> keeps restarting them.  unicorn.log looks something like :
> Which versions of Ruby and Unicorn are you running?
> <snip>

Hi Eric, thanks for the comprehensive reply. As it happens, shortly after posting this, the problem started the past it's been fairly sporadic, whereas this time it was extremely persistent so we were forced into tracking it down then & there. I ended up replacing unicorn with a single webrick instance, which would serve a few requests then hang...after a long debugging session we finally managed to track down the problem to a hung sphinx instance, which we use for our search engine.  Ruby would try to talk to that and just sit there without ever timing out. I'm going to go through the sphinx code tomorrow and see if I can figure out why that might occur.

Thanks for the help,