stop/start workers "by need"

Jamie Wilkinson jamie at
Fri Oct 29 13:55:03 EDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 4:16 AM, "Anton A. Vesnin" <antonvesnin at> wrote:

> Hello to everybody.
> I making shared hosting for rails and rack applications. For app. server i
> userd phusion passenger, but after some issues with that, want to migrate to
> unicorn.
> Is there any way to make unicorn stop all workers and start them on first
> request? It'll be really great to have this opportunity.

You'd need to keep a master running, but TTOU and TTIN signals let you arbitrarily increase and reduce the number of workers. I think disabling app preloading might shave some memory from the master as well

What issues were you having with passenger? Passenger and unicorn were created with quite different goals but I'd be curious if this works for you